The most expensive beer in the world and more trivia about the tasty drink.
At 5280 Burger Bar we love beer. Few things go with one of our handcrafted burgers as good as a pint of local craft beer. But we know we’re not the only ones who love beer. In fact, in 2012 approximately $99 billion in beer was sold! Check out this fun beer trivia and learn a little more about everyone’s favorite brewed beverage.
- The oldest written recipes are for making beer. They were written on stone tablets over 5,000 years ago and took the form of songs.
- When British brewers tried to ship their pale ales to India the beer went bad on the long voyage. So they started adding more alcohol and hops to help with preservation. This is how the characteristic strong, bitter India Pale Ales were created.
- Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.
- Vielle bon Secours is the most expensive beer at $1,000 a bottle. It is only sold at the bar Bierdrome in London.
- The agricultural revolution was started because people needed a way to brew more beer and led to the invention of the plow, wheel and irrigation systems.
- In ancient Peru beer was brewed by women who must be of noble birth or very beautiful. “Brewster” is the correct term for a woman who brews beer.
- Belgium has the most beer brands in the world.
- Beer contains almost all the minerals we need to survive.
- The average American drinks 23 gallons of beer in a year.
- In 19th century Germany mothers who were nursing would drink up to 7 pints of beer a day.